The View From Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building


Sometimes I forget how massive Tokyo is.

Which is normal, I guess, when you're in the midst of it all. The hustle and bustle of everyday life can make you forget a lot of things.

Like getting to this exhibition on architect Kenzo Tange that I've been wanting to go to. I've had my eye on this exhibition even before it started and I've yet to go. I have about two more weeks so I'm definitely going to squeeze it in somewhere this month.

But today, until I can get to the exhibition, I decided to take a short walk to one of his most recognized works in Shinjuku, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. It's very popular among tourists because it has an observation deck on the 45th floor on each of its towers. And the great thing is, it's absolutely free!

On a clear day, you'd be able to see Mt Fuji. But today it was a bit too cloudy. You have a better chance of seeing the majestic mountain in the winter. Right now with all the pollen, pollution and yellow sand flying around in the air, it makes it hard to see.

I personally just like looking over the city sometimes. 

It's so huge. So many buildings as far as the eye can see. Kind of crazy. But sometimes I need this view. It's good for me to get out of the office and look out into this vast land, jam-packed with buildings and people, to realize that it's all about perspective.

Also, pictures of the city are always a plus! x

Labels: